Friday, July 21, 2017

Lolita 52 Challenge Week 2

This week's prompt is "5 Movies for Lolitas."  This is probably the most difficult prompt of the whole list for me...because, believe it or not, I really don't like movies.  Explaining why is beyond the scope of this blog post, though, so I will try to make it through this prompt...wish me luck!

1.  Kamikaze Girls

Okay, I know this is super obvious.  But because of that, it also needs to be said.  I think watching this is an essential part of being a lolita.  I personally watched this when it came out, long before I became a lolita myself.  It was my first exposure to Baby, The Stars Shine Bright and sweet lolita.  Previously, I had only known lolita as a style worn in the VK scene.  I still remember that sense of wonder...I actually thought Baby was something made up for the movie until I saw the ending credits!

2. Nana

I watched this because I read the manga, which does have a lolita character in it, though I don't remember if she was in the movie.  The reason I think this is important for lolitas to watch is because it shows something of the Japanese indie and major label band scene.  Though it is not about VK specifically, I do think and understanding of Japanese band culture is important to the understanding of the origins of lolita.  However, for something more on topic, I would recommend the book So Pretty, Very Rotten since it contains essays on lolita's relation to the music scene.

3.  The Innocents

I watched this movie because I saw it recommended for gothic fashion inspiration, and while I got that, I also got so much more.  This movie has great aesthetic for either a gothic or classic lolita, but it's also a really eerie and atmospheric horror movie with thrills that are only psychological - not gory.

4. Alice in Wonderland

I watched this to familiarize myself with Alice's world, since I have not read the book.  This movie was quite a trip, and while I don't know how faithful it is to its source material, it really instilled in me a greater appreciation of the Alice aesthetic.  The Alice and Wonderland ballet is even better, though!

5. The Rose of Versailles

Okay, so this is an anime series, not a movie.  But since I couldn't think of any other movies for this list without including things I haven't already seen, I decided it would be okay to included this.  After all, this is the second watchable media I think of when I think "lolita", only after Kamikaze Girls.  This series explores the life of Marie Antoinette and all the decadence and intrigues related.  Hime and OTT lolitas in particular will want to watch this, and take notes!  This series is also extremely famous...I wouldn't be surprised it it were very well known among lolitas in Japan.

And somehow I made it, completing this post, though I did have to included a series with the movies.  I stand by choices, though...these are all films I appreciate more because I'm a lolita!

No comments:

Post a Comment